Monday, December 9, 2013

My Baseball Cards and An Amazing Story

I was inspired to do this post from Peter's Plentiful Postings. I have been collecting baseball cards for about 6 months and currently  have over 300 cards. I have some very special cards like Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, David Ortiz, Mike Trout, and many more. Some cards are recent and others are old. For example: Mike Trout is recent, and Lou Gehrig is old.





 Lou Gehrig was a player on the Yankees. One month during his playing career  he found out he had a deadly disease now known as the Lou Gehrig disease. Even though he could die any second he still showed up to the games and sat in the dugout with the team. He also gave speeches every game to the audience telling them that even though he was sick he will always support his team. Sadly on Monday June 2nd, 1948 he died. At the funeral they did not say any speeches, they all knew him too well.


Do You collect anything?

Do you know any historic facts on athletes?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Collin,

    My dad, your grandfather, collected baseball cards as a kid. I think he had 2,000 cards before a fire destroyed them. I like to collect wine. I like wines that are from the years of meaning to me. For instance, 2001 and 2004. Those are the years my children where born.

    SIncerely, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Collin,

    I was so happy to see that you are blogging again. When I showed Peter your attribution that he had inspired your post, he just beamed.

    Although I am not a big sports fan, I did know a little about Lou Gehrig. Because of your post, I went and looked up a little bit more on Lou. I was able to find and watch his good bye speech on YouTube. When I was reading up on Mr. Gehrig, I saw that he was the first jersey to be retired. I then looked at the retired numbers from the Yankees. I couldn't believe all the big names! Did you look through the list?

    As you know, I collect heart-shaped rocks! Not only do I like the shape, but I can decorate my garden with them too!

    Where do you get new cards?

    Your proud former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Collin,

    I really enjoyed reading your post about your baseball card collection! When I was your age I also collected baseball cards. Of course, that was a long time ago, so all of the cards I had would be considered old players. I used to keep my favorite cards in plastic sheets in a binder. Sometimes I would trade cards with my brothers or my friends.

    A few of my favorite cards when I was young were the rookie card of Reggie Jackson, a Mickey Mantle card, and a Bob Gibson card. Do you know any of those players?

    I like how you shared information about Lou Gehrig. He is probably one of baseball's most famous players. He had the nickname of "The Iron Horse" because he always played hard, even if he was injured or not feeling well. His death was a very sad day for American sports.

    Keep up the great blogging!

    From,
    Mr. Salsich

    ReplyDelete