Thursday, May 23, 2013

Open House


Welcome to my classroom's Open House! There were many exciting things like the Kelp Forest and poetry. Below is a picture of the the magnetism station. There were many interesting things to do like take iron sand and a magnet and see how the stronger magnets attract the iron sand.

Photo by Mrs. Yollis






Photo by Mrs. Yollis
There were also two and three dimensional shape paragraphs. The second graders wrote about their favorite 2-D shapes, and the third graders talked about their favorite 3-D shapes. It was more difficult for the third graders because we had to write  in cursive. Do you like to write in cursive?  

We also wrote Haikus. A Haiku is a piece of poetry and the first and last line have 5 syllables and the middle line has 7 syllables. If you want to learn more about Haiku's go to Abbey's Articulate Artistry and find the post Spectacular Spring Haiku's.
Photo by Mrs. Yollis



Photo by Mrs. Yollis
We had a  Biography time line. We placed our desks based on the year our person was born. Benjamin Franklin was born first, so whoever had him was first. The third graders had to bring in a diorama of the person, and the second graders had to bring in a artifact.



Photo by Mrs.Yollis

 
Then we had the Mrs. Yollis story quilt. The Mrs. Yollis story quilt was a quilt we made out of paper featuring the fun times we had.  A few examples were when we made volcanoes, or when we had dot day. On each quilt patch we drew a picture of what we were making a patch about, and then wrote a sentence or two.





Photo by Mrs. Yollis
We had fun with quotation marks! Earlier in the year we made something out of paper tangrams. Later in the year we decided to make our tangram picture into little comics. We took the tangrams, and picked who we should make a comic with. If the two or more tangrams had something in common then they could make a comic.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Collin,

    What a fantastic summary of the Open House we celebrated last Thursday! I love how you used my photographs, credited me, and then made them your own through your wonderful paragraphs! Well done, Collin!

    My favorite part of the night was listening to all of my students lead the tours. It made my heart swell up with pride! We have had a tremendous year together, and I am sad that it is coming to an end.

    What did your parents think of the evening? What did Kendall remember?

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    Thank you for complimenting me on my work. It was a tough post to work on, but it was well worth it. Moving the pictures into the right spot was a challenge for me because they kept moving out of place.

    My favorite part was seeing the Mrs. Yollis story quilt. It was heart warming to review all of the good times we had. My parents were super impressed with the high level vocabulary and most of all, the high quality work. My sister remembered the biography time line. She did Elizabeth Blackwell. I remember watching her make the project and see it at Open House.

    Do you remember Open House from 2009- 2010?

    Sincerely,
    Collin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Collin,

    Great post and thank you for sharing about your open house. I can tell that your class has been working very hard and has created some amazing projects and writing assignments. I really liked all the photos you took as it really helped me visualize your class.

    Keep up your great writing,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Collin,

    Thank you for leaving me a lovely comment on my blog. Your classroom was great! I visited the classroom on open house as well and I thought you and your class did an exceptional job decorating it. Visit my blog soon!

    Your new blogging buddy,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete